Sunday, September 5, 2010

PERFECTIONIST - WHY THIS IS TOUGH FOR ME!!

So by now many of you may know that I have lost 230 pounds and maintained the weight loss for well over a year now.  I am finding out that maintaining the weight loss has been much tougher believe it or not than the journey of losing the weight.  This has been tough for me because I'm a perfectionist which means that I eat healthy and exercise on a daily basis or after one bad meal, snack, or day of not exercising I just eat whatever and completely fall off the wagon.  Their is just no middle ground for me and it's either 100% or 0% which has really kicked into high gear after I got to my goal weight.  During my weight loss journey I lost weight consistently on a weekly basis which was great since I needed to drop weight.  Now that I am working on maintaining my weight loss and staying the same weight it has been very difficult because I'm not trying to go up or down in weight.  I do know that I am a perfectionist because in college when I was in sports we had a sports psychologist come in and test all of us and the results were that I was a perfectionist.  This isn't just in what I eat but in competing sports and at work I'm the same way in that I either give it my all or give it pretty much no effort at all.  So if you are struggling with maintaining your weight loss or are having a tough time on your weight loss journey then I would highly suggest that you find out if you are a perfectionist.  If you are then you can do your best in finding the middle ground and not have the do or die mentality.  As far as weight loss goes I was told several times by someone that I look up to that it's like when your driving your car and miss the off ramp.  We don't just throw our arms in the air and say oh well and keep on driving until we run out of gas but we wait for the next exit and then get back on track with a little detour.  I hope this helps you all out and have a great and very healthy Labor Day Weekend!!!

1 comment:

  1. "it's like when your driving your car and miss the off ramp. We don't just throw our arms in the air and say oh well and keep on driving until we run out of gas but we wait for the next exit and then get back on track with a little detour."

    I love this and have to keep it in mind, often. I am also a perfectionist and am trying to allow myself to accept that there will be FLEX.

    ReplyDelete