Low Calorie Meatball Sandwich RecipeIngredients:
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs, Italian-flavor
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup liquid egg substitute
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp granulated onion powder
- 1/2 tbsp sea salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 24 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 1 Point rolls, like Sara Lee Delightful Hot Dog Buns or Orowheat Sandwich Rounds
- 8 slices of light Sargento Reduced Fat Provolone Cheese
OPTIONAL: garnish with fresh shredded basil
Preheat oven to 350°F. Place oven racks in top 1/3 of oven. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or foil that’s been coated with non-fat cooking spray.
In a large bowl, combine turkey, bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, egg, oregano, parsley, basil, garlic and salt & pepper. Scoop out turkey mixture and gently shape a small meatball (about the size of a tablespoon) and place on a prepared baking sheet; repeat with remaining ingredients to make 32 meatballs. Bake about 10 to 15 minutes. Make sure to shake the pans every 5 min to promote even browning of the meatballs.
Meanwhile, in a small sauce pan, heat up can of diced tomatoes. Feel free to mix in additional garlic, parsley, oregano, basil, salt and peeper for extra flavor. It won’t affect the points value.
When meatballs are done, remove from baking sheets. Place rolls on same baking sheets; top each piece with 4 meatballs. Spoon about 3 tablespoons sauce over meatballs in each sandwich; top each with 1 slice of light provolone cheese. Bake until cheese is melted and sandwiches are heated through, about 5 to 7 minutes.
Entire Recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is 1 meatball sandwich